Friday, September 5, 2014
September Topic: Celebrating Grandparents!
Get your students talking about their grandparents in class!
It's a special day (September 7th, 2014) that follows the same footsteps as Mother's Day and Father's Day and is celebrated on each Sunday after Labour Day weekend in both Canada and the US. Students will love to be able to talk about their family's history and honor their grandparents for all that that they do or did. >>>
WARM UP CONVERSATION QUESTIONS by ESL MADE EASY:
1. What are some interesting tidbits about your grandparents?
2. Were you close to your grandparents when you were growing up? Explain.
3. What were some special things they did for you?
4. What were some lessons you learned from your grandparents and what was some of the best advice they gave you?
5. Are you a grandparent now? Tell me about your grandchildren. If you're not a grandparent yet then what kind of grandparent would you like to be?
RECOMMENDED LINKS ABOUT GRANDPARENTS DAY FOR ESL STUDENTS:
A Global World: History of Grandparents Day in Canada and the US
Busy Teacher: Activity ideas for Grandparents Day
EL Civics: A presentation (with pictures) with a follow up crossword puzzle
123 Holiday: Grandparents Day poems